1/1 Photo of Scalloped Potatoes and Butternut Squash With Leeks
1 hr 20 mins
I love, love, love this recipe. It can be a little time consuming to make but you can prepare it in advance and then bake when ready. It is the creamy goodness of comfort food but gourmet enough to serve to guests. This comes from a favorite cookbook of mine, "Gourmet's Parties".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups leeks, washed very well and then thinly sliced (about 6 large, white and pale green parts only)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes (about 4 large)
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, quartered and cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups gruyere cheese, coarsley grated (about 4 ounces)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Generously butter a 3 quart baking dish (at least 2 inches deep).
- 3In a skillet, cook leeks in 3 tablespoons butter over medium low heat, stirring, until very soft.
- 4In a saucepan, bring the milk just to boil (don't scald.just keep warm).
- 5In another heavy saucepan, melt the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter over medium low heat and whisk in flour - cooking and constantly whisking for about 3 minutes.
- 6Add heated milk in a stream, whisking, and bring to a boil.
- 7Simmer this sauce, whisking, for 1 minute - or until thickened - and season with salt and pepper.
- 8Peel potatoes and slice 1/8 inch thick.
- 9Spread about 1/3 sauce in baking dish and cover with 1/3 potato and squash slices, overlapping them slightly.
- 10Cover slices with 1/3 leeks and sprinkle with 1/3 Gruyere.
- 11Make 2 more layers with sauce, potatoes and squash, leeks and Gruyere in the same manner.
- 12Bake, covered with foil, in middle of the oven for about 20 minutes.
- 13Remove foil and bake 30 minutes more, or until top is golden and vegetables are tender. Yum!
- 14*If you prepare this in advance you may need to bake it a little bit longer*.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scalloped Potatoes and Butternut Squash With Leeks
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.5
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.5 g
- Cholesterol 84.6 mg
- Sodium 168.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 17.2 g