I saw this demonstrated on the Oprah show and I knew I had to try these out. Oprah was writhing with pleasure while she described these, and now I know why!
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato pesto (see recipe I posted here on the 'zaar)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 cup parve chicken broth or 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock, heated to boiling
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400ÿF.
- Lightly oil an 11 © x 8-inch (2-quart) baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds (a mandoline or food processor does the quickest work).
- Add to the boiling water and cook until barely tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain and toss with the pesto to coat evenly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Layer half of the potatoes in the dish, sprinkle with one third of the cheese, and sprinkle with basil.
- Continue until you have 3 layers, finishing with cheese.
- Pour in the hot broth.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to bake until the cheese is bubbling and starting to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with parsley.