From Everyday Food: "Cherries aren't only for jams and pies -- these juicy, ruby red summer beauties are ripe for the picking in this refreshing salad."
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh goat cheese, crumbled (2 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- coarse salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1 lb chicken cutlet
- 1 head boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 lb bing cherry, pitted and halved
- 1⁄4 cup walnut pieces
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, goat cheese, chives, vinegar, and 2 tablespoons water; season with salt and pepper. Set dressing aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, cook until opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Thinly slice chicken crosswise.
- Divide lettuce among four plates; top with chicken, cherries, and walnuts. Serve salad with dressing alongside.
- Note: If dressing is too thick, it may be thinned out with a little milk.
Yes, yes, and YES! This summer salad is absolutely great. I used an organic spring mix (not because I am a fanatic or even believe when it says organic it is any different) but it was on sale and I was lucky to find the Washington Sweet Cherries on sale too (usually $4-5 a pound - at Walmart for $1.48 a pound - amazing! The blend of goat cheese, sour cream, cherries and walnuts...oh lordamercy, it was fantastic! I would recommend this for ANYONE, I did take the other chef's recommendation and put very little vinegar, probably half of the recommended, it didn't seem to need it. Can't mix it too much or it turns pink from the cherries, but other than that, nothing changed from me! I then made it again to use up the rest of the sour cream and stuff but without the lettuce. Made a wonderfully different chicken salad. Thanks Alligirl, that is a rockin' recipe!
I'm just now realizing how enjoyable some recipes can be that include goat cheese! This salad, with its combo of goat cheese, fresh cherries AND toasted nuts, makes for A VERY SATISFYING SUMMER SALAD! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Every Day Is a Holiday! tag]
I really loved this salad. The dressing is what surprised me the most. I'm not a huge lover of goat cheese, so was a bit nervous about not liking the dressing. Wow, no need to worry! I LOVED the dressing. I did add a lot of black pepper to the dressing, which I thought worked really well. The salad is easy and I love the addition of cherries and walnuts. A keeper for sure! Made for ZWT8 France. Merci!