Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a beautiful, elegant, tasty salad. Choose a bowl worthy of the ingredients, and get ready for the compliments.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 (12 ounce) bag spinach
- 4 eggs, hardboiled and thinly sliced
- 3 bunches green onions
- 1 lb bacon, fried,drained,and crumbled
- 10 ounces frozen peas (thawed)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup swiss cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat free sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 stalks celery, chopped (optional)
- olive, sliced (optional)
- chopped ham (optional)
- specialty lettuce (optional)
- cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Also need 1 beautiful glass bowl, preferably with straight sides.
- Tear the lettuce into bite sized pieces and put 1/2 the lettuce in the bowl, spreading evenly.
- Clean the spinach, remove stems, and tear in bite sized pieces.
- Spread 1/2 the spinach in over the lettuce.
- Spread 1/2 of the eggs over the spinach.
- Spread 1/2 of the bacon over the eggs.
- Spread 1/2 of the peas over the bacon.
- Sprinkle the peas with sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Mix the sour cream and mayo.
- Spread 1/2 the dressing over the salad.
- Repeat the layers, ending with the second layer of salad dressing.
- Top the dressing with the cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill.
- Before serving the salad, clean the green onions and slice the root off.
- Cut all the onions the same length (about 2" taller than the bowl).
- Unwrap the bowl, and imagine the bowl is the face of a clock.
- Slide one green onion down between the salad and the bowl at each point of the clock, with the top of the onion sticking above the bowl.
- If there are any green onions remaining after you've used 12, then slice the remaining onions and tops and sprinkle over the salad.
- Use the optional ingredients for other layers, or to vary the salad the next time you make it.
- This salad is so pretty, you may have to take the first serving: people won't want to'mess it up'.