1/2 Photos of Smoked Macaroni and Cheese
1 hr 10 mins
The ultimate comfort food. This recipe comes from the Williams Sonoma Kitchen. I have spent years on a quest to try different mac and cheese dishes. I'd like to find my favorite. So far this is one of the top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 4 ounces crustless country bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta, cooked al dents and drained
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Butter large rectangular baking dish.
- 3In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 TBS butter.
- 4Add flour; cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.
- 5Whisk in milk; cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 6Whisk in tomato paste.
- 7Add 1.5 cups of each cheese; stir until melted.
- 8Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- 9Tear bread into crumbs.
- 10In small bowl, stir together bread crumbs, 2 TBS melted butter and salt.
- 11In a large bowl, combine pasta and cheese sauce.
- 12Pour into prepared baking dish.
- 13Top with remaining cheeses and buttered bread crumbs.
- 14Bake until cheeses are golden and bubbly, about 40 minutes.
- 15If top becoomes too dark, cover with foil.
- 16Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 633.1
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.6 g
- Cholesterol 147.5 mg
- Sodium 575.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 27.5 g