My Mum makes this all the time, it's quick to whip up and so tempting. She got this out of an italian womans weekely cookbook
- put serving dish in pre heated oven so it gets hot.
- cook spaghetti in boiling, slated water for 10-12 minutes, or until "al dente" (as they say), or just tender.
- meanwhile, melt one-third of the butter in a fry pan.
- add the bacon and fry until it is crisp, remove from heat and stir in cream, set aside.
- beat the eggs and the grated cheese together until they are well blended. stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- drain spaghetti in a colander then transfer to a warmed, deep serving bowl/dish, it should sizzle (if not - go to note).
- add remaining butter and using two large spoons, toss gently until butter melts, stir in bacon mixture and toss gently until the spaghetti is well coated.
- finally pour over the egg mixture and toss gently until the spaghetti is well coated and starts to show that the egg is almost setting in a way.
- serve at once.
- NOTE: we had the problem the other night that the dish wasn't hot enough, so once you have drained the pasta, put the pan back on the heat and re-add the pasta with the bacon mixture, and then add the egg mixture and keep over the heat a few minutes while stirring until it begins to coat the spaghetti.