My Mum makes this all the time, it's quick to whip up and so tempting. She got this out of an italian womans weekely cookbook
- put serving dish in pre heated oven so it gets hot.
- cook spaghetti in boiling, slated water for 10-12 minutes, or until "al dente" (as they say), or just tender.
- meanwhile, melt one-third of the butter in a fry pan.
- add the bacon and fry until it is crisp, remove from heat and stir in cream, set aside.
- beat the eggs and the grated cheese together until they are well blended. stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- drain spaghetti in a colander then transfer to a warmed, deep serving bowl/dish, it should sizzle (if not - go to note).
- add remaining butter and using two large spoons, toss gently until butter melts, stir in bacon mixture and toss gently until the spaghetti is well coated.
- finally pour over the egg mixture and toss gently until the spaghetti is well coated and starts to show that the egg is almost setting in a way.
- serve at once.
- NOTE: we had the problem the other night that the dish wasn't hot enough, so once you have drained the pasta, put the pan back on the heat and re-add the pasta with the bacon mixture, and then add the egg mixture and keep over the heat a few minutes while stirring until it begins to coat the spaghetti.
Made this last nght for dinner and it was all eaten. Very easy and absolutely delicious. Even my picky eaters loved it. I did add a little more cream as it seemed dry but I don't think it really needed it.
My kids love this! It is very easy to make and is now a favorite at home.
This recipe is almost exactly the same as one given me by a Chef in Boston. It is quick, delicious. He used pancetta instead of bacon, the only difference. Loved it!