A pair of these savory spreads makes a great holiday gift. I made these last Christmas as an appetizer before our big dinner, and I watched them disappear! You can make ahead and wrap each log in heavy-duty plastic wrap and freeze. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. From Christmas with Southern Living 2004, recipe submitted by Charles Flournoy of Dallas, TX. Prep time is cooking time.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) package monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- fresh parsley sprig
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, blend well. Stir in shredded cheeses. Divide cheese mixture in half, and shape each portion into an 8-inch log.
- Combine pecans and chopped parsley, roll logs in nut mixture. Cover and chill 8 hours (I wrapped in wax paper). Let stand 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with a variety of crackers. Garnish if desired.