A pair of these savory spreads makes a great holiday gift. I made these last Christmas as an appetizer before our big dinner, and I watched them disappear! You can make ahead and wrap each log in heavy-duty plastic wrap and freeze. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. From Christmas with Southern Living 2004, recipe submitted by Charles Flournoy of Dallas, TX. Prep time is cooking time.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) package monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- fresh parsley sprig
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, blend well. Stir in shredded cheeses. Divide cheese mixture in half, and shape each portion into an 8-inch log.
- Combine pecans and chopped parsley, roll logs in nut mixture. Cover and chill 8 hours (I wrapped in wax paper). Let stand 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with a variety of crackers. Garnish if desired.
So good! This was such a beautiful addition to our table at our Christmas party! It was delicious and everyone liked it! I would definitely recommend this to anyone! I have a nut chopper which made perfect size pecans to roll in. It's best if the nuts are pretty small. I made as is, except used almost 1/2 tsp ground red pepper and didn't toast the nuts. It really is a beautiful presentation as well as being so delicious! Thanks so much for posting this! I will definitely make again!
What a beautiful cheese log. Will be wonderful around the Holidays. Very nice flavor combination. I did sub a couple of things because of what I had on hand. I made only half this recipe since there's only 2 of us. I lacked about 2 tablespoons of having 4 oz of cream cheese so used a couple of tablespoons of light mayo, and my Monterey Jack cheese didn't have peppers so added some chopped jalapeno to it and used the full 1/4 teaspoon of ground red pepper for 1/2 of the recipe. Turned out so delicious and had just the right spice for use. Thanks so much for sharing and congrats on winning week #5
This is an easy and tasty cheese log! I made the whole recipe. We had one and I froze the other one to use at a later time. I used walnuts and I think I would prefer not to have the walnuts toasted, though, next time. I would also finely crush them so they are easier to roll in. I would also add a little more ground red pepper to make it spicier. Thanks for posting! Congratulations on your football pool win for Week #5!