Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
You can really use any kind of hot peppers that you like for this, for extreme spice add in another jalapeño! Prep time does not include boiling the macaroni.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (cooked ONLY to barely firm-tender and drained)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- cayenne pepper (or use black pepper)
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes (very well drained, then chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄3 cups grated parmesan cheese
- Set oven to 375°F (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Butter a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- In a large saucepan melt 1/3 cup butter, add in the onions, garlic, diced jalapeño pepper, coriander and cumin; stirring until the onions are tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add in flour and stir for 2 minutes with a wooden spoon.
- Slowly add in the half and half cream whisking continuously until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Add in cayenne pepper and salt to taste.
- Add in chopped tomatoes and simmer for about 3 minutes (do not add in the cheese, add it in when when mixing in the bowl).
- In a large bowl mix together the cooked macaroni and tomato mixture, then stir in both cheeses; mix well to combine.
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- In a small bowl mix together the fresh bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle over the macaroni mixture in the baking pan.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbly.
This was very good. I used 2 1/2 cups skim milk instead of half and half; added about 1/3 c low fat cream cheese and 1/3 c fat free sour cream to make sauce. Had to thicken the sauce with a little corn starch since it didn't have the fat content. Also omitted Monterey Jack cheese since I did not have any, just used extra cheddar. I also added red pepper, kidney beans, and chicken to make it into a one dish meal. DH liked it too so I will definately make again.
Very nice recipe! Thank you for posting. We had this for lunch today with a salad and it was great. I did add another 2 peppers (cause we like it spicy in Texas) and I used all fresh vegatables from my garden. Lovely!