You can really use any kind of hot peppers that you like for this, for extreme spice add in another jalapeño! Prep time does not include boiling the macaroni.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (cooked ONLY to barely firm-tender and drained)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- cayenne pepper (or use black pepper)
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes (very well drained, then chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 1/3 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1Set oven to 375°F (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- 2Butter a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- 3In a large saucepan melt 1/3 cup butter, add in the onions, garlic, diced jalapeño pepper, coriander and cumin; stirring until the onions are tender (about 5 minutes).
- 4Add in flour and stir for 2 minutes with a wooden spoon.
- 5Slowly add in the half and half cream whisking continuously until the mixture boils and thickens.
- 6Add in cayenne pepper and salt to taste.
- 7Add in chopped tomatoes and simmer for about 3 minutes (do not add in the cheese, add it in when when mixing in the bowl).
- 8In a large bowl mix together the cooked macaroni and tomato mixture, then stir in both cheeses; mix well to combine.
- 9Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- 10In a small bowl mix together the fresh bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle over the macaroni mixture in the baking pan.
- 11Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbly.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Tomato Jalapeno Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1097.1
- Calories from Fat 532
- Total Fat 59.2 g
- Saturated Fat 35.8 g
- Cholesterol 171.0 mg
- Sodium 1073.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 45.3 g