Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 (10 ) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 lb gruyere or 1⁄4 lb swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, Grated
- parsley or beets or salad greens
- Drain spinach; squeeze dry with paper towels.
- In 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat milk, margarine or butter, and salt until margarine melts and mizture boils.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- With wodden spoon, vigorously stir in flour all at once until mixture forms a ball and leaves side of saucepan.
- Add eggs to flour mixture, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, until mixture is smooth and satiny.
- Stir in Gruyere and parmesan cheeses and spinach.
- If not baking right away, cover surface of mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease 2 large cookie sheets.
- Drop batter by level tablespoons onto cookie sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until cheese puffs are golden brown.
- Arrange appetizer and garnish on platter; serve immediately.
As my mother-in-law might exclaim, "Boy Howdy! Are these great!" I made these as directed, using some shredded sharp cheddar to make enough cheese with the Swiss. I also used a 9 oz. bag of fresh baby spinach -- just cooked it briefly in a skillet over medium-high heat, then drained (using about a hundred paper towels!), then chopped. My puffs are very spinachy, but that's fine with me. I started off dropping these by tablespoonfuls, as directed, but soon realized I could get more "bang for my buck" by using just teaspoonfuls to drop them. (The photo I posted is of the teaspoonful-size.) They baked up a little more evenly (less done on the bottoms) and golden, using the smaller amount of dough for each puff -- plus I'll get more in the end! I made these to serve at a party I am hosting in two days (I figure I will refrigerate until the party and then reheat in a warm oven) but I don't know...there might not be any left to serve. Rich, savory, melt-in-your-mouth tasty, make the house smell great...these are 5-star fantastic!