An Italian favorite that is much easier to make then you think - Ina Garten's (The Barefoot Contessa) way.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 1 1/2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (2 leeks)
- 1 cup chopped fennel (1/2 bulb, we didn't use, personal preference)
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 -5 cups simmering low sodium chicken broth (we used vegetable stock) or 4 -5 cups low sodium vegetable broth (we used vegetable stock)
- 1 lb asparagus tips
- 10 ounces frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup italian mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra
- parmesan cheese, for serving
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives, plus extra
- fresh chives, for serving
- 1Heat the olive oil and butte or margaine(if using)r in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add the leeks and fennel and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until tender.
- 3Add rice and stir for a minute to coat with the oil and butter.
- 4Add white wine and simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until most of the wine has been absorbed.
- 5Add the stock, two ladles at a time, stirring almost constantly and waiting for the stock to be absorbed before adding more.
- 6The whole cooking process will take 25 to 30 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, discard the tough ends of the asparagus and cut the tips diagonally in 1 1/2-inch lengths.
- 8Blanch in boiling salted water for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender.
- 9Drain and cool immediately in ice water.
- 10When the risotto has been cooking for 15 minutes, drain the asparagus and add to the risotto with the peas, lemon zest, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- 11Continue cooking and adding stock, stirring almost constantly, until the rice is tender but still firm.
- 12Whisk the lemon juice and mascarpone together in a small bowl.
- 13When the risotto is done, turn off the heat and stir in the mascarpone mixture, plus the Parmesan cheese.
- 14Allow to sit off the heat for a few minutes, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot with a sprinkling of chives and more Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Medium-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Medium-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spring Green Risotto, Ina's Way
Serving Size: 1 (441 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.4
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 22.4 mg
- Sodium 369.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 22.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: