Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An Italian favorite that is much easier to make then you think - Ina Garten's (The Barefoot Contessa) way.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (2 leeks)
- 1 cup chopped fennel (1/2 bulb, we didn't use, personal preference)
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 4 -5 cups simmering low sodium chicken broth (we used vegetable stock) or 4 -5 cups low sodium vegetable broth (we used vegetable stock)
- 1 lb asparagus tips
- 10 ounces frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup italian mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra
- parmesan cheese, for serving
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives, plus extra
- fresh chives, for serving
- Heat the olive oil and butte or margaine(if using)r in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the leeks and fennel and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until tender.
- Add rice and stir for a minute to coat with the oil and butter.
- Add white wine and simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until most of the wine has been absorbed.
- Add the stock, two ladles at a time, stirring almost constantly and waiting for the stock to be absorbed before adding more.
- The whole cooking process will take 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, discard the tough ends of the asparagus and cut the tips diagonally in 1 1/2-inch lengths.
- Blanch in boiling salted water for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender.
- Drain and cool immediately in ice water.
- When the risotto has been cooking for 15 minutes, drain the asparagus and add to the risotto with the peas, lemon zest, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Continue cooking and adding stock, stirring almost constantly, until the rice is tender but still firm.
- Whisk the lemon juice and mascarpone together in a small bowl.
- When the risotto is done, turn off the heat and stir in the mascarpone mixture, plus the Parmesan cheese.
- Allow to sit off the heat for a few minutes, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot with a sprinkling of chives and more Parmesan cheese.