1/1 Photo of Steak Pie with Cheese Crust
2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Traditional British pie, normally filled with steak and kidneys. I hate kidneys, so I omitted them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef, trimmed and cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 2 tablespoons meat drippings or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, finely sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs (fines herbs or a McCormick meat spice mix or make your own, i often use sage and rosemary)
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves, whole
- 20 fluid ounces beef stock
- 1Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- 2Roll the meat in the seasoned flour.
- 3Reserve 2 teaspoons of the excess flour.
- 4Heat the fat or oil and just soften the onions and carrots in it but do not let them color.
- 5Remove them and put them in a flameproof dish.
- 6In the same fat quickly brown the meat all over and add it to the vegetables.
- 7Add the herbs and spices to the pan juices, together with the reserved seasoned flour.
- 8Mix well to absorb the fat, then add the stock and mix well until it boils and becomes smooth.
- 9Pour the thickened stock over the meat and vegetables, bring back to the boil then cover and put into the oven for 1-1½ hours.
- 10Meanwhile, make the crust by putting the flour and salt into a bowl, then rubbing in the butter until it is like coarse breadcrumbs.
- 11Add the cheese and mix well.
- 12When the meat is cooked, allow to cool slightly, then sprinkle the pastry mix evenly over the meat and bake for about 30 minutes or until it is golden and cooked.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steak Pie with Cheese Crust
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.3
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 113.1 mg
- Sodium 513.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 29.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: