Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Since macaroni is the featured ingredient for May 2004, here is an easy one-pot stove top macaroni and cheese recipe my friend gave to me. My family likes it served with toasted buttered garlic bread and a green salad.Use one or more of the variations provided to suit your tastes and to use up leftovers.
- Melt butter in large deep skillet (12” wide x 3” deep) or pot.
- Add raw macaroni, onion, green pepper, salt and dry mustard.
- Stir in water and milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer COVERED for 10 to 15 minutes until macaroni is tender.
- Stir frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in grated cheese (s) until melted.
- Stir in one or more of the following add-ins and seasonings (optional).
- Add cooked meat such as chopped chicken, ham, hamburger, chopped sausages for a few minutes before finished cooking time to heat thoroughly.
- Add a 14 oz. can stewed tomatoes, drained (use the liquid for the water in the recipe) just before bringing ingredients to a boil in the recipe.
- Add some chopped celery, chopped green onion, or leftover cooked veggies.
- Vary the seasonings by using chili powder, Italian seasoning, thyme, or fresh ground pepper.