Since macaroni is the featured ingredient for May 2004, here is an easy one-pot stove top macaroni and cheese recipe my friend gave to me. My family likes it served with toasted buttered garlic bread and a green salad.Use one or more of the variations provided to suit your tastes and to use up leftovers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt butter in large deep skillet (12” wide x 3” deep) or pot.
- 2Add raw macaroni, onion, green pepper, salt and dry mustard.
- 3Stir in water and milk.
- 4Bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat to low and simmer COVERED for 10 to 15 minutes until macaroni is tender.
- 6Stir frequently.
- 7Remove from heat.
- 8Stir in grated cheese (s) until melted.
- 9Stir in one or more of the following add-ins and seasonings (optional).
- 10Add cooked meat such as chopped chicken, ham, hamburger, chopped sausages for a few minutes before finished cooking time to heat thoroughly.
- 11Add a 14 oz. can stewed tomatoes, drained (use the liquid for the water in the recipe) just before bringing ingredients to a boil in the recipe.
- 12Add some chopped celery, chopped green onion, or leftover cooked veggies.
- 13Vary the seasonings by using chili powder, Italian seasoning, thyme, or fresh ground pepper.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stove Top Macaroni & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.0
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 90.7 mg
- Sodium 1028.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 23.1 g