Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Since macaroni is the featured ingredient for May 2004, here is an easy one-pot stove top macaroni and cheese recipe my friend gave to me. My family likes it served with toasted buttered garlic bread and a green salad.Use one or more of the variations provided to suit your tastes and to use up leftovers.
- Melt butter in large deep skillet (12” wide x 3” deep) or pot.
- Add raw macaroni, onion, green pepper, salt and dry mustard.
- Stir in water and milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer COVERED for 10 to 15 minutes until macaroni is tender.
- Stir frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in grated cheese (s) until melted.
- Stir in one or more of the following add-ins and seasonings (optional).
- Add cooked meat such as chopped chicken, ham, hamburger, chopped sausages for a few minutes before finished cooking time to heat thoroughly.
- Add a 14 oz. can stewed tomatoes, drained (use the liquid for the water in the recipe) just before bringing ingredients to a boil in the recipe.
- Add some chopped celery, chopped green onion, or leftover cooked veggies.
- Vary the seasonings by using chili powder, Italian seasoning, thyme, or fresh ground pepper.
Very good and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't add the onions or peppers as I was just looking for a macaroni & cheese recipe. I didn't add any of the optional ingredients either. We all enjoyed this. My boys thought it had a sharp taste but I used mild cheddar cheese. Next time I will omit the mustard and see if that helps. If that doesn't I will try some different cheese. All in all a really good recipe. My kids are very picky about their macaroni and cheese and they enjoyed this. I liked that the recipe didn't use flour. Quick and easy side dish. I will be making this again.
Easy and delicious. I left out the onions and peppers [my kids don't like add-ins with their mac and cheese]. I wondered if I would need to thicken the sauce with a flour slurry, but it comes together quite nicely. I used about 1/4 cup parmesan at the end.
Quick and simple! I added about 1/2 lb of hamburger and upped the parmesan to about 1/3 cup. I didn't add any veggies this time, but I probably will next time. Thanks!