Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Grilled portobellos, with smoked mozzarella cheese and balsamic vinegar, set on a mound of steamed spinach. I'm hungry! Great summer fare from Delicious Living magazine.
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes (or grape tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced (or regular mozzarella)
- 1 (10 ounce) bag Baby Spinach, steamed
- Set the oven to 425*F. Drizzle a roasting pan with 1 tbls. of olive oil and add tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoons pepper, and basil. Toss to mix. Roast for 15-20 mins., or till tomatoes start to burst. Keep the oven hot.
- Preheat the grill or broiler to medium heat. Place the mushrooms, gill side up, on cutting board(or work surface) and sprinkle with 2 tbls. olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a little salt, and remaining 1 teaspoons pepper. With remaining 1/2 tbls. oil, lightly coat the rounded side of the mushroom caps.
- Place mushrooms, gill side down, on grill or broiler pan. Grill or broil for 6-8 minutes on each side, until soft and slightly charred.
- Move the mushrooms to a roasting pan and fill with 10-15 tomatoes each. Top with the cheese. Place in a hot oven until the cheese bubbles. Place each mushroom on a mound of steamed spinach and serve up immediately. Enjoy!
Oh this was wonderful. I used a lot less olive oil than was called for and they still worked out fine. Cooked the tomatoes on skewers on the grill right alongside the mushrooms. I topped them with cheese and closed the grill for a few minutes and that was enough to melt it. So no messy pans for me :) Fabulous, quick, easy and it presented beautifully. Thanks for a great recipe!
This is outstanding. I loved the earthy flavor of the mushroom, and the tart, sweet balsamic. The colors of the tomatoes and spinach were eye appealing and added their own flavors. Excellent. I will definately make this recipe again. Thanks, Sharon for another lovely recipe.