These were always on a table at many of our family gatherings. It is the American version of the Calzone. A soft yeast roll stuffed with a delicious mixture of ground beef and cheese. I found this recipe in Taste of Home and it brought back good memories of a stuffed meat pie. Prep time does not include dough rising.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm milk, 110 to 115 degrees f
- 1/2 cup warm water (same temperature)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3 1/2-4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 slices cheese, quartered (American or cheddar)
- 1In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- 2Let set for 5-10 minutes.
- 3Add milk, sugar, shortening, egg, salt, and 2 cups of flour.
- 4Stir in remaining flour until a soft dough forms.
- 5Turn dough on a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes.
- 6Place in a greased bowl, turning to distribute grease.
- 7Put dough in a warm place.
- 8Cover first with plastic wrap and then a towel.
- 9Let set until dough doubles@ 1 hour.
- 10While dough is resting cook beef mixture.
- 11Cook beef and onion until beef is browned.
- 12Drain and stir in tomato sauce.
- 13Set aside.
- 14Remove dough and punch down.
- 15Divide into 16 pieces.
- 16On a floured surface roll out dough into a five inch circles.
- 17Put 2 pieces of cheese on cirlces and top with 3 Tbl.
- 18of beef mixture.
- 19Fold dough over to make a half circle and pinch edges together to seal.
- 20Place on a greased baking sheet.
- 21Cover and let rise in a warm place about 30 minutes.
- 22Bake at 400 °F for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Cheeseburger Buns
Serving Size: 1 (1963 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.8
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 32.9 mg
- Sodium 505.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 9.7 g