Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is a Good Housekeeping recipe. It's delicious and pretty easy too.
Make and share this Stuffed Pizza Loaf recipe from Food.com.
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, about
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced salami
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced baked ham or 1⁄4 lb prosciutto
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese
- 1 large egg
- Prepare Dough: In large bowl, stir yeast and sugar into 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F).
- Let stand until yeast mixture foams, about 5 minutes.
- With wooden spoon, stir in oil, salt, and 1 cup warm water.
- Gradually add 3 1/2 cups flour, stirring until a stiff dough forms.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 7 to 10 minutes, working in more flour (about 1/2 cup) while kneading.
- Shape dough into a ball; place in greased large bowl, turning dough over to grease top.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place (80 to 85 degrees F) until doubled, about 1 hour.
- (If making ahead, place covered bowl of unrisen dough in refrigerator for 24 hours to rise. When ready to use, follow recipe from Step 5 to complete.) Punch down dough.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; cover and let rest 15 minutes for easier shaping.
- Grease large cookie sheet (17" by 14").
- On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 16" by 12" rectangle.
- Prepare Filling: Arrange cheese slices on dough up to 1/2 inch from edges, overlapping slices slightly if necessary.
- Repeat with salami and ham.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- From a long side, roll up dough jelly-roll fashion.
- Pinch seam and ends to seal, and tuck ends under slightly.
- Place loaf, seam side down, diagonally on cookie sheet.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap; let rest 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In cup, with fork, beat egg slightly.
- Brush loaf with egg.
- With knife, make 5 long diagonal slashes in top of loaf, about 1/4-inch deep.
- Bake loaf 30 to 35 minutes, until browned.
- Loosen bottom of loaf with wide metal spatula and slide onto wire rack.
- Cool slightly to serve warm, or cool completely to serve later.
- To reheat, place on cookie sheet in preheated 375 degrees F oven 10 to 15 minutes, until warm.
* * * MADE FOR MY 3-CHEFS FALL 2008 * * * I was getting together with a friend who I haven't seen in quite a while. She suggested we go out for pizza, and then I said I would make us supper. Well, the result was perfect. We both really liked the pizza. I did add some sliced black olives to the pizza. I also warmed up some pizza sauce to serve with it. So, thanks for making our night a good one with good food.
Great recipe and the dough part was so good too. Will make again :>)