Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
We recieved some beautiful yellow squash from a neighbor and came up with this tasty recipe. You can use/substitute the squash for zucchini also, or create a variety at the table to include eggplant also. If you don't eat meat, just omit the sausage. It will still be wonderful.
- 113.39 g neufchatel cheese, softened or 113.39 g cream cheese
- 59.14 ml 2% low-fat milk
- 113.39 g Italian sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 29.58 ml onions, chopped fine
- 29.58 ml bell peppers, chopped fine
- 29.58 ml carrots, chopped fine
- 2 mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4.92 ml fresh basil, chopped
- 29.58 ml soft bread cubes (or crumbs)
Other Ingredients Needed
- 2 yellow squash
- 118.29 ml spaghetti sauce
- 59.14 ml low-fat parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix cream cheese and milk in large microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high 1 minute or until cream cheese is melted and mixture is blended.
- Add remaining filling ingredients. Toss to coat and set aside. Take some aluminum foil, and crimple to make a log about 1" high. Use this to support the 'neck' of the yellow squash so they will lay in a horizontal position in your baking dish. Set aside.
- Cut Squash (or zucchinin) in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out seeds to create a boat. Divide filling equally amongst the boats.
- Place boats in a shallow baking dish. Spread 2 Tbsp spaghetti sauce over each boat. Top with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
Great summer sidedish with pork loin!!!!!
This was really really good. I loved the flavor of the filling. The cream cheese was a wonderful addition to this dish. I will will be leaving out the carrots next time though, just a a personal preference. Thanks so much for fixing. Prepared for PRMR tag game.
I enjoyed this dish! The filling made enough for 3 small to medium squash. I left out the sausage and added a little more of the veggies and bread cubes. Thank you for posting! Made for PRMR game.