Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I made this for the RSC #11 contest. This certainly isn't a low fat or diet friendly sandwich but it is very indulgent tasting. I grilled mine on my Foreman Grill so that I didn't have to use extra butter and plus I got the nifty grill mark lines :)
- Saute shallots, mushrooms and bacon in the olive oil until the bacon is cooked through but not crispy and the shallots are softened.
- Put the shredded cheese in a small bowl and sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Toss until all of the cheese is coated by the cayenne pepper.
- Put half of the cheese mixture on one of the slices of bread.
- Top cheese with the shallot, mushroom and bacon mixture and spread out so that it fully covers the bread and cheese.
- Arrange the six tomato halves on the bread so that they form two parallel lines down the middle of the bread.
- Put one spinach leaf on each corner.
- Put the second half of the cheese mixture on top of the spinach and top with the second slice of bread.
- Spray each side of the sandwich with butter flavored cooking spray and put onto a hot Foreman type grill and cook until the cheese is melted and the outside is golden (about 5 minutes) OR fry in a buttered pan as you would a traditional grill cheese sandwich.
Great, easy, fast meal! Made as written and loved the combination of the all the flavors. I will be adding this recipe to the cookbook. Thank you. (made and reviewed for NZ/AUS Recipe Swap #27, April '09)
Yummy sandwich! This is very good. I love the bacon and gouda cheese in this. I did omit the sun-dried tomatoes, not my fav. Otherwise, made as is. Thanks for sharing!
I made this up for a quick, light supper and wasn't dissapointed! I love the mushrooms and shallot in there. Yum! Thanks Sarah!