Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Canadian Living Magazine posting for safe keeping
Make and share this Tyropitakia recipe from Food.com.
- 9 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted or 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups crumbled feta cheese (about 6 oz/175 g)
- 3⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated romano cheese or 1⁄2 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 green onions, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Filling: In bowl, beat together feta, ricotta and Romano cheeses, eggs, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg until fairly smooth with some larger chunks. Stir in walnuts, green onions, parsley and dill. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo on work surface, covering remainder with damp towel to prevent drying out. Brush lightly with some of the butter; cut lengthwise into 4 equal strips.
- Spoon about 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the filling about 1/2 inch (1 cm) from end of each strip. Fold 1 corner of phyllo over filling so bottom edge meets side edge to form triangle; fold up triangle. Continue folding triangle sideways and upward to end of strip, without wrapping too tightly. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
- Place triangles on parchment paper–lined rimless baking sheets; brush with some of the remaining butter. (Make-ahead: Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Or freeze until firm; layer between waxed paper in airtight container and freeze for up to 2 weeks. Bake frozen.).
- Bake in top and bottom thirds of 400°F (200°C) oven until golden, about 15 minutes, 20 minutes if frozen.