Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I saw this one on the Today show and is a fast favorite of mine. It has EIGHT types of cheese! It's very rich and tasty, makes a huge casserole, and is a big hit at family gatherings.
- 2 lbs elbow macaroni
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup cubed Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 6 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated asiago cheese
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup grated muenster cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until slightly al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Drain and set aside to keep warm.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until frothy.
- Combine the eggs with the Velveeta, butter, and 2 cups of the half-and-half in a large bowl.
- Add the warm macaroni, tossing until the cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the remaining half-and-half, 3 cups of the sharp yellow cheddar (reserve 1 cup), the remaining grated cheeses, and salt and pepper.
- Toss until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 casserole or baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle top with the remaining 1 cup of yellow cheddar cheese and bake an additional 30 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Serve hot.
This is absolutely amazing mac-n-cheese. We now are expected to cook this for all family holidays! I cooked it to recipe the first time, I REALLY do not know how it was supposed to fit into a 9 x 13 although my pan wasn't a deep dish 9 x 13. We get the disposables as you can see in the picture and it fits perfectly. We have made some variations since, added prosciutto and more spice, less salt. It is definitely worth spending the money for the specialty cheeses, hope you all enjoy & thanks for posting the recipe!
I used smoked sausage in mine. It was good but hard to keep lit.