This is a grilled sandwich with a burger inside!
Make and share this Ultimate Patty Melts - Rachael Ray recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ground black pepper
- 8 slices white bread (or whatever sandwich bread you like)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 -4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp
- 8 slices tomatoes
- Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat with about 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove to a large mixing bowl and wipe the pan clean.
- When the onions have cooled slightly, place the pan back over medium-high heat with about 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- To the mixing bowl with the onions, add the sirloin, Worcestershire, some salt and pepper and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Divide the meat into 4 portions and shape into 4 thin burgers.
- Add the patties to the hot pan and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- While the burgers are cooking, butter up one side of each slice of bread then flip them over and spread mustard on each.
- When the burgers have finished cooking, make stacks by laying down the slices of white bread, butter side-down, and top them with a slice of cheese, a patty, another slice of cheese, 2 slices of bacon and tomato and another slice of bread (butter side-up).
- Wipe out the pan that the burgers were cooked in and return it over medium heat.
- Add the stacks to the pan and cook until the bread is toasted golden brown and the cheese has melted, 2-3 minutes per side.