1/4 Photos of Vegetarian Quiche With Potato Crust
1 hr 25 mins
Lowfat Linda's Note:
My family absolutely loves quiche, but I didn't make it frequently due to the hydrogenated oils from the pie crust and the extra calories from the heavy cream. It took me several years to perfect this recipe to make it low fat while maintaining the richness and flavor. The idea of using potato for the crust came from Elizabeth's O'Brien Quiche recipe (thank you Elizabeth!) and this was the final substitution I needed for honing this recipe. Because I cram so much into this deep dish quiche, it is very filling. I like to serve sliced melon (water- or cantelope) for dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed or mostly thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup carrot, shredded (optional)
- 5 slices vegetarian bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk (2/3 of a can)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Press shredded potatoes into a lightly oiled large deep dish pie pan (I use a second glass pie plate to smash them into shape).
- 3Place pie plate in oven for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are just beginning to brown.
- 4While potato-crust is cooking, work on the veggies.
- 5Brush fry pan with olive oil and saute the onions and peppers until onions are transparent, remove from heat.
- 6Cook the broccoli (and optional carrots) until slightly tender -- either by steaming for about 5 minutes or zapping in a covered microwavable dish with a splash of water for about 2 minutes.
- 7Beat the eggs in a bowl with the evaporated milk.
- 8After removing the potatoes from the oven, sprinkle about 2/3 cup of the cheese over the potato crust.
- 9Spread the cooked onions and peppers evenly in the pie pan.
- 10Spread the broccoli (and carrots) evenly over the onions and peppers.
- 11Sprinkle the crumbled veggie bacon over the veggies. This should basically fill the deep dish pie pan completely.
- 12Sprinkle the rest of cheese over the veggies.
- 13Carefully pour the milk and egg mixture into the deep dish pie pan.
- 14Place in the oven (I usually have a cookie sheet underneath to catch any spills) for 45 minutes or until egg is cooked and firm.
- 15Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Quiche With Potato Crust
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.5
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 164.6 mg
- Sodium 422.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 20.3 g