1/14 Photos of Very Tasty Cheesy Cheddar and Oat Scones
French Tart's Note:
Great served fresh from the oven - split open and douse dangerously with butter.....naughty but very, VERY nice!! These also keep very well in an airtight tin or container and can be toasted next day or gently warmed through in a low oven. Ideal for freezing - will keep in freezer bags for up to 2 months. Great picnic fare - split them open and spread with garlic & chive soft cream cheese, (Boursin or Philadelphia type) or make cheese & ham scone sandwiches or even cucumber scone sandwiches!! The oats give them a great texture - I use fairly coarse porridge oats. This recipe is easily doubled for larger crowds or greedy people!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 220C - gas 7.
- 2In a large roomy bowl rub softened butter into flour until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- 3Stir in oats & cheese, then add the milk - if it feels too dry, add a touch more milk.
- 4Bring it all together and make a soft dough.
- 5Lightly dust a surface with flour and roll out the dough until NO thinner than 2cm.
- 6Using a 4cm scone/cookie cutter firmly stamp out the rounds - do NOT twist as you stamp as it stops the scones from rising evenly!
- 7Re-roll all the trimings and stamp out some more rounds until the dough is finished.
- 8Place on a non-stick baking tray/sheet or one which has been lined with non-stick baking paper. Dust with a little more flour OR glaze with a little milk & add some extra grated cheese for the topping if desired.
- 9Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
- 10Cool on a wire rack - if you can manage it!
- 11Serve on their own or with Boursin soft cheese, Philadelphia cream cheese, sliced ham, cucumber, cress or just with BUTTER!
- 12Cheese variation for the topping is grated parmesan mixed with a little paprika or cayenne pepper.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Very Tasty Cheesy Cheddar and Oat Scones
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.5
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 17.1 mg
- Sodium 82.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.4 g