A co-worker introduced me to this salad. The combination sounds odd, but it all works! The sweetness of the melon, the tanginess of the feta, and the tartness of the lime combine to make an amazing taste sensation!
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin half moon slices
- 2 -3 limes, juice of
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cups watermelon, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup pitted oil-cured black olive
- 1 cup whole flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place the onion slices in a small bowl, add the juices from the limes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the feta cheese cubes with the watermelon cubes, the black olives, parsley, mint, olive oil, and pepper.
- Add the onion and lime juice mixture and gently toss to combine.
I wish I could give this more than five stars. This is like a Mediterranean salad from an alternate universe, with watermelon instead of tomato, and it is delicious. The sweetness of the watermelon is offset by the sour, salt, onion flavors. I didn't have fresh herbs, so I used a pinch of dried parsley and a pinch of Greek oregano instead. I also used peppercorn feta crumbles because that is what I had a package of. Also used more olives than were called for, but that's because I love them. This was really surprising and really filling. Try it if you like Greek salads.
I was a little afraid to try this combination but it works! If you like feta cheese, you'll like this recipe. I'd suggest making it a day ahead of time, it was much tastier after chilling overnight.
Don't be afraid! Make it right now while watermelon is coming into peak season. Another reviewer mentioned Greek salad... Yes! If you like the taste of a Greek salad, you will really like this one.