Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This soup uses a bottle of Michelob Amber Bock beer. Rich and creamy and perfect for those cold winter nights.
- 12 ounces bock beer
- 8 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, minced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet red pepper, minced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- Open beer and let stand while dicing vegetables.
- Saute bacon until crisp. Drain and crumble.
- In large soup kettle, saute vegetables in two tablespoon of bacon grease until soft.
- Add chicken broth.
- Fill chicken can with beer and add to mixture.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Pour remaining beer into a small mixing bowl and whisk in flour.
- Gradually add to broth, stirring constantly, till thick.
- Add half and half, bacon and cheese.
- Heat until cheese melts.
- Stir in sugar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe really let us down. It may be better had we left out the sugar. It was too sweet & left an after taste in our mouths. Really wanted it to be fabulous, but left us not wanting more. We made a double batch and are not eating the leftovers.
Very tasty, and rich! I added a 1/2 tsp dry mustard and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper, and I purreed the entire soup in the blender to give it a smooth consistency (before adding bacon). Very tasty...I would cut down a bit on the sugar next time to make it a bit less sweet. Overall great!
we love this! great recipe.