Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I am always trying to find something my entire family agrees on and I think I finally did it!! This by far is my best recipe yet! I added broccoli and salad for a main dish meal we all loved!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
- 2 cups small shell pasta (7oz)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8oz)
- fresh breadcrumb
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta as directed on the box.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and mustard. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is all smooth and bubbly;remove from heat. Add milk, and put back on heat, until boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir approx 1 minute. Mixture will thicken. Add cheese. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
- Drain pasta. Add pasta and cheese mixture to ungreased 2 quart casserole and top with fresh breadcrumbs if desired. (I use fresh that I make).
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Wonderful! Big hit in my family! I've made this recipe several times... very good! Cheese sauce is also good on vegies such as asparagus (with bacon crumbled on top) and broccoli. Thanks for sharing!
This was my first time making real mac and cheese (not from a box!) and it was really good. May add more dry mustard next time or maybe some very sharp cheddar cheese. Thank you!