Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Everyone will enjoy this. Especially cheese lovers. I use a full cup of cheddar, 1/2 cup swiss and provolone or mozzarella for the rest. Any combination will do. I cobbled this recipe together from several that I enjoyed.
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup yellow squash, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, coarse chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 1⁄2 cups cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Grease the bottom and up one inch, a deep dish, 9" pan. Evenly sprinkle on the breadcrumbs.
- Bake in 350 oven for 12 minutes or until nicely browned. Remove from oven.
- While hot, sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan if desired. Set aside.
- In a large pan, sautee the onions in the butter until soft.
- Add the squash and red peppers.
- Add all the sesonings.
- Simmer til squash are just slightly tender. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, with a fork beat the eggs with the flour then combine the cheeses and eggs mixing together well.
- Pour the egg-cheese mixture into the pan with the zucchini and gently combine.
- Spoon the filling into the prepared pan, sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a test knife comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let set for 15-20 minutes before cutting.
Very good i really like this one and will make it often especially when i entertaine the ladies.
I read about this on a forum for ways to have "main dish squash recipes." This had a wonderful French/Italian flavor. I used reg mozz and a mozz blend (provolone, parmesan, etc) and loved the taste and creaminess of it. I cooked my onions and squash until some of it browned, since I prefer it that way. When I read "deep dish" pan I used a deep cake tin, which I think the high sides of the pan kept it from rising as much as the photo. I will use a reg. Pyrex next time. Thanks Kathy, for posting! Roxygirl
Made for dinner, but accidentally used 1/2 tsp Herbes de Provence instead of tarragon! So I put the tarragon in anyways. Don't know if the added spice changed the flavor. It was somewhat licoricy. I used 1 C cheddar and 1 C mozzarella, and 1 T margarine. I'll have to try again w/out the added spice! Didn't use the bell pepper, but would try it next time.