This simple-to-prepare side accompanies blander dishes nicely. I particularly like it with simply grilled salmon or other fish.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and saute onion and garlic until tender, but not browned.
- Add tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes and stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini and simmer covered for 15 minutes, or until they are tender and stirring as needed.
- Mix the beaten egg and the parmesan cheese together in a small bowl until it forms a mass.
- With the aid of a tablespoon, drop the dumplings onto the tomato mixture (you should get 4 nicely-sized ones).
- Simmer, covered, for 5 to ten minutes, until dumplings are firm.
- When they are firm, gently flip them over to completely cook the top side (simmering another 1-2 minutes).
- Serve each portion with one dumpling atop the tomato-zucchini mixture.