1/5 Photos of Zucchini Crust Tomato Basil Tart
1 hr 10 mins
The crust is made from shredded sauteed zucchini, and filled with a luscious tomato basil cheese filling. Try this! This is a Giada recipe from Everyday Italian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs zucchini, shredded (about 6 medium zukes)
- 1 bunch scallion, thinly sliced (use white and green parts)
- 1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumb, plus
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- salt and black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 ounces shredded Fontina cheese, divided
- 1 medium tomato, quartered,thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed slivered fresh basil leaf
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus
- more extra virgin olive oil, for the pan
- 1Place the zucchini and scallions in a large sauté pan.
- 2Cook over high heat, stirring frquently, until the zucchini shrinks, about 6 minutes.
- 3Drain in a colander.
- 4Press out excess water with a large spoon.
- 5Return the zucchini and scallions to the pan.
- 6Add 1/4 cup bread crumbs and 1/2 teaspoon each salt annd pepper.
- 7Allow to cool for 5 minutes, tossing frquently.
- 8Add the egg; toss.
- 9Preheat the oven to 400°F Coat a 9-inch pie pan with oil.
- 10Press the zucchini mixture into the bottom and up the sides, but not over the lip, of the pan.
- 11This"crust" is very thick.
- 12Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden.
- 13Remove and sprinkle with 1/2 cup Fontina.
- 14Top with the tomato slices, overlapping slightly if necessary.
- 15Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- 16Cover with 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, the basil, the olive oil and the remaining cup of Fontina.
- 17Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is well browned.
- 18Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Crust Tomato Basil Tart
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.3
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 63.9 mg
- Sodium 306.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 11.8 g