1/5 Photos of Zucchini Crust Tomato Basil Tart
1 hr 10 mins
The crust is made from shredded sauteed zucchini, and filled with a luscious tomato basil cheese filling. Try this! This is a Giada recipe from Everyday Italian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs zucchini, shredded (about 6 medium zukes)
- 1 bunch scallion, thinly sliced (use white and green parts)
- 1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumb, plus
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- salt and black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 ounces shredded Fontina cheese, divided
- 1 medium tomato, quartered,thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed slivered fresh basil leaf
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus
- more extra virgin olive oil, for the pan
- 1Place the zucchini and scallions in a large sauté pan.
- 2Cook over high heat, stirring frquently, until the zucchini shrinks, about 6 minutes.
- 3Drain in a colander.
- 4Press out excess water with a large spoon.
- 5Return the zucchini and scallions to the pan.
- 6Add 1/4 cup bread crumbs and 1/2 teaspoon each salt annd pepper.
- 7Allow to cool for 5 minutes, tossing frquently.
- 8Add the egg; toss.
- 9Preheat the oven to 400°F Coat a 9-inch pie pan with oil.
- 10Press the zucchini mixture into the bottom and up the sides, but not over the lip, of the pan.
- 11This"crust" is very thick.
- 12Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden.
- 13Remove and sprinkle with 1/2 cup Fontina.
- 14Top with the tomato slices, overlapping slightly if necessary.
- 15Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- 16Cover with 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, the basil, the olive oil and the remaining cup of Fontina.
- 17Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is well browned.
- 18Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Crust Tomato Basil Tart
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.3
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 63.9 mg
- Sodium 306.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 11.8 g