Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This low carb recipe was sent to me. It is a great Diabetic dish. Leave out the meat and you have a good vegetarian recipe.
- 4 -5 zucchini (Enough to be able to cover the bottom of 8 x 8 cake pan and make two layers)
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground beef
- garlic powder
- 1 (16 ounce) container cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2-2 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, lots of it
- Brown ground meat with garlic powder, combine tomato paste, water and Italian seasonings; add to ground meat; stir and simmer together for 5 minutes.
- Mix together cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, set aside.
- Slice Zucchini lengthwise about 1/4 inch thick: line pan (which has been sprayed with non-stick spray) with zucchini slices, layer with cottage cheese mixture, followed by mushrooms and onions and meat mixture, top with layer of cheese.
- Start over, layer zucchini then cottage mixture, onions and mushrooms, meat and top with cheese.
- (until all is used.) Bake in a 350 degree oven 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- If getting to brown cover with foil.
- (Release foil works great.).
Yummy! I didn't have any mushrooms, so I did without. It's probably better with them. But It was delicious. Thanks for the great recipe.
I really enjoyed the flavors in this dish. I left out the meat and used portobello mushrooms. I also added two small carrots, just cause I needed to use them. I ended up with just a little too much sauce, but loved the taste! (With the meat the sauce would probably be just right.) Thanks Barb!