Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this recipe as a new way to make use of summer bounty. Like it too for lightening the carbs with zucchini instead of pasta. Plan to make & freeze after assembly for baking in the deep dark winter. From AllRecipes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a medium baking sheet.
- In a shallow, medium bowl, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, basil, and oregano. Set aside 2/3 cup of the mixture.
- Lightly beat 2 egg whites with 2 teaspoons water in a small bowl. Dip zucchini slices in the egg whites, then coat with the bread crumb mixture. Arrange coated slices on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned.
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta, parsley, and the remaining 6 egg whites.
- Spread 1/2 the tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish (or aluminum pan if planning to freeze).
- Layer with 1/2 the zucchini, 1/2 the ricotta mixture, and 1/2 the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining bread crumb mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven or wrap tightly and freeze to bake at a later date. Serve warm.
Great way to use zucchini. I only used 1 egg, beaten, for dipping the zucchini in before coating in the breadcrumbs, and omitted the rest (personal preference). I also used homemade marinara sauce. I wanted the zucchini to come out a bit crispier than it did, so the only additional change I plan to make in the future is to cut down on the final cooking time. Thanks for a keeper!
I'm rating this for the way to cook the zucchini, that is fantastic! I did make this recipe subbing whole eggs for the egg whites and homemade marinara sauce for the tomatoe sauce. This is delicious :) I will make this again. Thank you Buster's friend for posting this keeper. Shirl