- 8 cups sliced zucchini (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a dutch oven, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain; partially mash with a potato masher.
- Combine zucchini mixture, rice, sour cream, cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons parmesan, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and eggs in a bowl; stir gently.
- Spoon zucchini mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil one minute or until lightly browned.
My family and I certainly enjoyed this casserole. The zucchini, rice, and cheese definitely appealed to our tasters. The sour cream adds extra richness. Kind of funky looking but we thought the taste was excellent. A great side dish.
I made recipe as is except I used egg whites instead of whole eggs to reduce the fat.
This was fantastic. I loved the blend of flavors. I cooked my squash in the microwave and then added the additional ingredients and baked in oven as stated. Very good.